Monday 1 April 2013

Colombian Music

I arrived in Colombia with the naive idea that Shakira (the only Colombian musician I knew) would be blaring out of every stereo here. Since being here I've leant that Shakira is only  popular amongst 13 year old girls, and that Colombia has a huge variety of music on offer from lively salsa beats and Reggaeton tunes to Romantic ballads and Latin percussion. Colombians like to party and dance and this passion is reflected in the vast range of music you can can expect to encounter on a night out here. Regardless of your dancing abilities its impossible to enter a Colombian club and not want to shake your hips. Here are some of my favourite Colombian artists/songs/genres so far:

Totó La Momposina

Toto is an incredible musician of Colombian afro/indigenous descent and a legend of Colombia's percussion filled Cumbia style of music. (My favourite song is 'Oye Manita'-I can't find a decent video but here is the youtube link.



El Joe (Joe Arroyo)

Hailing from Cartagena El Joe was a maestro of salsa and the pride of Barranquilla (there is a statue in his honour in the city centre). I got acquainted with his music at Carnaval where his song 'En Barranquilla Me Quedo' was streaming out of every window.




Carlos Vives

Famous all over Latin America Carlos Vives is a bit cheesy but his songs grow on you very quickly and I don't think I've gone a day here without hearing this song.


Reggaeton

Not enjoying dancing to reggaeton music when in Colombia is like not drinking tea when in England, impossible. Reggaeton is everywhere here with Puerto Rican artists such as Don Omar, J Alvarez and the godfather of Reggaeton (and long standing guilty pleasure of mine) Daddy Yankee dominating the clubs. For me this is great, and for the many people who think they don't like reggaeton, it will very quickly grow on you. Here is a bit of reggaeton from  the Colombian artist L'oMy.



Choc Quib Town

I heard the hip hop sounds of Choc Quib Town for the first time 2 days ago and am already obsessed.


So far I'm really enjoying getting to know Latin American artists and different styles of music such as Mexican Ska, a genre I never dreamt I would love as much as I do. Anyone visiting Colombia, in particular the coastal towns, will very quickly be introduced to its music as it is impossible to walk down the street without hearing tunes streaming from every window. So leave your ipod at home and let yourself fall in love with new styles of music and be carried away by Colombia's energetic salsa beats and fun reggaeton tunes.


No comments:

Post a Comment