Monday 24 June 2013

'Lamplight' by May Wedderburn Cannan

Written in 1916 this is one of my favourite poems in the world. Beautiful.

We planned to shake the world together, you and I. 
Being young, and very wise; 
Now in the light of the green shaded lamp 
Almost I see your eyes 
Light with the old gay laughter; you and I 
Dreamed greatly of an Empire in those days, 
Setting our feet upon laborious ways, 
And all you asked of fame 
Was crossed swords in the Army List; 
My Dear, against your name. 

We planned a great Empire together, you and I, 
Bound only by the sea; 
Now in the quiet of a chill Winter's night 
Your voice comes hushed to me 
Full of forgotten memories: you and I 
Dreamed great dreams of our future in those days, 
Setting our feet on undiscovered ways, 
And all I asked of fame 
A scarlet cross on my breast, my Dear, 
For the swords by your name. 

We shall never shake the world together, you and I, 
For you gave your life away; 
And I think my heart was broken by war, 
Since on a summer day 
You took the road we never spoke of; you and I 
Dreamed greatly of an Empire in those days; 
You set your feet upon the Western ways 
And have no need of fame - 
There's a scarlet cross on my breast, my Dear, 
And a torn cross with your name.

No comments:

Post a Comment