Tuesday 20 August 2013

Villa De Leyva Kite Festival


This weekend I went to a kite festival in the beautiful Villa de Leyva and have developed a huge admiration for anyone who can fly a kite. I also had two realizations over the weekend:

1. Flying a kite is actually quite hard, after trying and failing several times I had to give up and just blame the wind. My ambition for the next month is to go a park and get my kite up in the air.

2. Synchronized kite flying is really really cool. They had this display where the kites 'danced' around the plaza to classical music- I never knew kites could move so well.

One of the highlights of the trip was getting to visit the amazing English tearoom in Villa de Leyva and gorging on scones and a fry up- for anyone interested the place is called La Taza de Te and has moved to Calle Caliente. I wrote about this magical pg tips filled place in an earlier post here.

Overall it was a great weekend. Whilst you might expect a kite festival to be very family-orientated at night the plaza overflows with drinking, music, and generally good vibes. If anyone is planning to come to Colombia in the last two weeks of August the kite festival is definitely worth a visit.








No comments:

Post a Comment